AAYIDL and consultative status
The Australian Association of Yoga in Daily Life (AAYIDL) is a non-governmental organisation in roster consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and affiliated with the Department of Public Information (DPI).
Economic and Social Council - ECOSOC
Attaining consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), non-governmental organizations may be admitted into a mutually beneficial working relationship with the United Nations. In concrete terms this entails their participation in ECOSOC and its various subsidiary bodies through attendance at these meetings, and also through oral interventions and written statements on agenda items of those bodies.
Organizations granted status are also invited to attend international conferences called by
the U.N., General Assembly special sessions, and other intergovernmental bodies.
Department of Public Information - DPI
The DPI/NGO Section is part of the department’s Outreach Division and acts as its liaison between the United Nations and NGOs and other civil society organizations. It oversees partnerships with associated NGOs and provides a wide range of information services to them. These include weekly NGO briefings, communication workshops, an annual NGO conference and an annual orientation programme for newly associated NGOs. Affiliation with DPI requires having effective information programmes in place and the ability and means to disseminate information about the work of the United Nations.
The Australian Association of Yoga in Daily Life has been affiliated to the Department since 2010.
Areas of Interest
In cooperation with other Yoga in Daily Life Associations, throughout the world (in USA, Canada, New Zealand, Europe, Africa and Asia), The Australian Association of Yoga in Daily Life is actively engaged in supporting a number of humanitarian projects for the local area of Pali, Rajasthan, India.
Projects endorse the declarations of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals and the Earth Charter Initiative as fundamental and necessary principles on our path to a just, sustainable and peaceful global society.Read more about Millennium Development Goals
Gyan Putra Project
Education programs for women
Paramhans Swami Madhavanand Austria Hospital
Swami Madhavanand Sarovar (Rainwater Harvesting)
Reforestation and ecological programs
The Australian Association Yoga in Daily Life at the UN
- Summit on the Millennium Development Goals - Organization of the High-level Plenary Meeting of the 65th session of the General Assembly, 20-22 September, 2010, Summit on the Millennium Development Goal
- United Nations Children's Fund, Executive Board, Second regular session, United Nations, New York, 9th September, 2010
- 63rd Annual United Nations DPI/NGO Conference, Melbourne, Australia, August 30 - September 1, 2010, For more information visit conference page on UN website.
- Special event on the occasion of the launch of the International Year of Youth (A/RES/64/134) on the theme “Dialogue and Mutual Understanding” (co-organized by the United Nations Inter-Agency Network on Youth Development and the United Nations Programme on Youth, Division for Social Policy and Development, Department of Economic and Social Affairs), United Nations, New York, 12th August, 2010
- United Nations Children's Fund, Executive Board, Briefing, United Nations, New York, 26th July, 2010
- Informal "informal" meeting on the preparation of the 2010 High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on the Millennium Development Goals, United Nations, New York, 20th July, 2010
- 27th meeting Economic and Social Council Chamber, Economic and Social Council, Substantive session of 2010 - Reports of the Executive Boards of the United Nations Development Programme/United Nations Population Fund, the United Nations Children’s Fund and the World Food Programme, United Nations, New York, 09 th July, 2010
- Informal interactive Hearings of the General Assembly with Non-Governmental Organizations, Civil society organization and the private sector in preparation for September 2010UN MDG Summit, 14-15 June 2010, United Nations, New York
- The 53rd session of the Commission on the Status of Women, “The equal sharing of responsibilities between women and men, including caregiving in the context of HIV/AIDS”, 2 -13 March 2009, United Nations, New York
- The High-level Event on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), 25 September 2008, United Nations, New York
- The 61st Annual DPI/NGO Conference,"Reaffirming Human Rights: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 60, UNESCO, 3-5 September, 2008, Paris, France
- 60th Annual Conference for NGO’s, September 5-7, 2007, United Nations, New York
- 52nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women, 25 February - 7 March, 2008, United Nations, New York
- UN Briefing NGOs with President of the General Assembly on agenda of work of 62nd session of the General Assembly, November 9, 2007, United Nations, New York
- The 60th Annual DPI/NGO Conference “Climate Change- How It Impacts Us All, 5-7 September 2007, United Nations, New York
- 51 Session of the Commission on the Status of Women, “The Elimination of all forms of discrimination and violence against the girl child”, 26 February - 9 March 2007, United Nations, New York
- UNA-USA Members Day Meeting, March 2-3, 2007, United Nations, New York
- Workshop: “Nurturing the Woman within for the Outer Strength” held by Australian Association Yoga in Daily Life, 27 February 2007, Church Centre Building, New York
- Secretary General High Level Panel on UN System-wide Coherence in the areas of Development, Humanitarian Assistance and the Environment: Delivering as One, 9 November 2006, United Nations, New York
- The 59th Annual DPI/NGO Conference, Unfinished Business: Effective Partnerships for Human Security and Sustainable Development, 5 -7 September 2006, United Nations, New York.
- Hearings of the General Assembly, 23-24 June 2005, United Nations, New York
AAYIDL Participation in U.N. Surveys, On-Line Discussions & Organization of Local U.N. Awareness Campaigns
- "Women in Leadership Roles" hosted by Women Watch - The UN Internet Gateway on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women, Nov-Dec, 2007
- Participation at the meetings and national conferences.
- Promotion and annual U.N. observances such as: International Women’s Day, International Day of Peace, World Environment Day, Stand Up and Speak Out Against Poverty by incorporating awareness campaigns in its meditation & yoga classes, hosting events, partnering with other like-minded community groups, E- Newsletters.